Thursday, October 11, 2012

And So It Begins - Why I have Willingly Chosen Unemployment

Until six months ago, I had lived in Groton, Massachusetts almost my whole life.  I had the same circle of friends, knew everyone in the local businesses, attended college only an hour away, and held jobs within a 30 mile radius.  Groton was my home, and Groton was my life.

In January of 2012, I began to wonder about what else there was in the world.  I had traveled to Japan, I had seen my friends' apartments, I had seen my friends become professionals, get engaged, and buy cars and homes.  By February, I was aching to try something new.  After thought and prayer, I put in my three weeks at my job, packed up my belongings, and moved down to Old Lyme, Connecticut to move in with my Aunt. I spent the next few months working in a cafe and searching for jobs on Block Island.  Working on The Island was a dream of mine that I knew I could only do that summer - I wanted to settle into a permanent position starting in the fall, and there would be no room for a summer away.

I found a position at a small boutique as a Sales Associate and building an eCommerce website.  Fast forward five successful months, and the summer has ended.  It is time to find a permanent, professional job.  

This blog is documentation of my adventures and explorations in young adulthood, in job searching, and in settling into a new community.  

No comments:

Post a Comment